Sierra Woods Farm is proudly home to the Zionsville Equestrian Team. Here are some “Fast Facts” to give you some general information about the team.
For more information, please contact Emily Ahlfeld
- ZEQT has a Middle School (grades 4-8) and a High School Team (grades 9-12).
- Riders do NOT need to own their own horse to ride on the team.
- Riders must be taking weekly/monthly lessons at Sierra Woods Farm or other hunt seat barn.
- Each rider may attend a total of 5 regular season shows (September-February) Team will try to attend 7-8 shows (approximately 1 per month) to allow for flexibility in schedules.
- Two shows run in one weekend- Minimum of 5 riders per regular season show to attend or at discretion of coach
- Travel- 3-5 hours (IN, MI, OH)
- Visit the IEA website for more information: http://www.rideiea.org
- Yearly fee is $850 for regular season. This includes joining fees, all show and coaching fees and team uniform shirt.
- Team Practices will be held at Sierra Woods Farm ($50/hour group paid to SWF) Coach Emily Ahlfeld (GOAL- monthly practices)
- Post Season- Regionals/Zones $40-50 per class/coaching fees split by riders PLUS at Nationals all riders will split the per diem expenses (hotel, mileage, flight, meals)
- Personal expenses (travel, hotel room, meals, attire)
- Tall black boots or paddock boots and jods for middle school riders, gloves, tan breeches, light colored show shirt, dark well-fitting jacket, belt, and certified helmet (discounts for ZEQT available at local tack stores)
- IEA placement rules
- Coach discretion
- Increase riding ability and horsemanship skills
- Meet new friends and have fun
- Participate in service projects- volunteer opportunities
- Learn about college opportunities, scholarships, and future careers with horses
- Monthly Team activities (visit vet clinic, IMPD mounted patrol, volunteer at TherAplay, etc.)
- Fundraisers (Holiday Poinsettias, Spring Baskets, gift cards)